Monday, November 8, 2010

Donorschoose.org

Bill and Melissa Gates funded the website DonorsChoose in order to help schools get the basic needs and help school enrich their programs. Teachers can create a profile, create different projects (ranging from school trips, books, carpets for reading, computers, etc to anything you want that you can find through the vendors), and then wait for generous people to donate to their projects.
Companies like Build a Bear and Townsend Press go on to this website and make substantial donations toward projects. People who are not teachers make accounts and can donate to any classroom project they choose. They can donate a dollar if they want. As a teacher I know that a dollar can go a long way.
I have been creating projects on Donorschoose.org for two years. I have received 25 The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, 35 copies of Rachel's Tears, and over 60 independent reading books, including Before I die, Clockwork Angel, Willow, Hate List, Fallen, I am Number Four, and the list goes on. I would say that I have had about $2,000 worth of donations to my classroom. It's an amazing website. During March this year, for any dollar donated, the website would match it. I posted my project on my facebook and several of my friends donated money and project was quickly funded. (I am very grateful for friends!)
This website is a great resource that is probably under-utilized. Please pass on this website to other educators and people who are education enthusiasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment