Monday, July 18, 2011

Paranomalcy by Kiersten White

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


So, I've seen this beautiful cover countless (literally) all over the book blogging world. Let's all take a moment and appreciate it. (1-2-3) OK. I never read the reviews for Paranormalcy because I was afraid it would ruin for me. I knew by the cover that I would like it (pre-conceived notion and all) I finally read it. Um, the cover misleading. I thought I was going to get some damsel in distress, have to figure out how to make paranormal normal. (In all honesty, I still haven't read the summary...I just posted it. I had no idea Evie was going to be so tough. I LOVE tough female heroines. Period. I lump her with Rose.

I will say after reading the book, the cover should totally show Evie as a bad-ass. I think the sequel shows it better, but I think Evie should be smirking or just not so doe-eyed. I call for a re-do!

OK - on to the story - Evie - that little Pink, see through all the disguises she-rambo. In the beginning of the book, I was not really sure if I liked Evie. I like/hated Reth (anyone else want to date him?). I liked Lish. I liked Jacque, Racquel, and Lend. But I was not sold on Evie, eventually I came to care for her, but felt no "book bond" with her. She does make some really good, slightly wacky choices. She is a fighter. She is also very much a teenage girl who wants to go to school, have a locker, go to prom, go on a date, everything we all did as teenagers, but the center prevents that and it is sad. Normal high schoolers take that for granted.

Reth - *swoon* OK I'm better. Fairies are so naughty and manipulative and I freaking love it. Recently YA has blown my pre-conceived thoughts about fairies right out of the water. I can't really say what I want to about Reth because I feel it will lead people in certain directions, but his character is essential.

Holy fire girl.

Lend - I like Lend, I don't love him, but I like how he is kind to Evie and sweet to her. I love what he turns out to be. Again, I can't say what I want because it is a spoiler.

The pace and plot of the story were slow for me, until about page 80. Then it picked up for me and I read through. I got the funny face from my boyfriend because I LOL-ed a few times. The author does a great job captivating teens.

Some quick thoughts
Still want a cover redo
Mermaids :)
I love the part where Evie puts her mouth on the tank and puffs out her cheeks.
IPCA -mmmm
Lend's mom - awesome.
Ooops - sorry swooned over Reth again and fell over.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! Such praise. ;) I have this one on my want list and will get there one of these days... I just need to clear out some here first. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was awesome and yes, I agree, the cover is misleading. Also the author, Kiersten White is awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete