Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Flame of Surrender by Rhiannon Paille


The boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Krishani thinks he’s doomed until he meets Kaliel, the one girl on the island of Avristar who isn’t afraid of him. She’s unlike the other girls, she swims with merfolk, talks to trees and blooms flowers with her touch. What he doesn’t know is that she’s a flame, one of nine individually hand crafted weapons, hidden in the body of a seemingly harmless girl.

Nobody has fallen in love with a flame until now. She becomes
Krishani’s refuge from the dreams of death and the weather abilities he can’t control. Striking down thousand year old trees with lightning isn’t something he tries to do, it just happens. When the Ferryman dies, Krishani knows that he’s the next and that a lifetime of following death is his destiny.

And
Kaliel can’t come with him. The Valtanyana are hunting the flames, the safest place for her is Avristar. Krishani can’t bear to leave her, and one innocent mistake grants the Valtanyana access to their mystical island. They’re coming for Kaliel, and they won’t stop until every last living creature on Avristar is dead. She has to choose, hide, face them, or awaken the flame and potentially destroy herself.

I met this awesome author through our blogs and just find her so captivating! And then I found out she wrote a book. She had an awesome contest seeking feedback and getting her book out there. It was ballsy and paid off for her. You can check out her website here. Wait, don't go yet. Read my review of her book first, then go.


I am not going to do a plot review because I feel the author has summed it perfectly without giving too much away. I hate spoiling things.

It was different in a YA world where everything seems to follow the trend, you know vampires that sparkle, wolves that are just cuddly, Angels that are not very nice, and crazy dystopias. This is nothing like that. Paille creates a world for you. You have to pay attention or you will miss the details that are important. The relationship between Kal and Kri (as I so lovingly nicknamed them) is bred more from curiosity compared to repressed teenagers. There is no doubt they are drawn to each other but it's done subtly... it was refreshing! And who doesn't love some forbidden love.

Another like for me was that it was paranormal but with a different approach. She used powerful magic and incorporated nature with ease.
Kal talks to trees and the respect she has for nature is (I think) a secret meaning reminding us how important nature is.

I do feel for Kal and Kri because of all that they have to shoulder - hi can we say lethal weapon? And how the bad guys want her dead. Isn't that a bit much for a 14 year old? And Kri for being so helpless (not entirely) but it came across loud and clear that he felt that way and I felt it for him to.

Paille is up and coming and you really need to get your hands on this. Tomorrow I am going to post an interview she did with me. I think you will find she is as refreshing as her novel!

5 comments:

  1. Okay so this just popped up on my feed and I'm like, "WHAT IS THIS?" "IS THAT MY NAME?" and then I thought maybe a cover revel, oh no a REVIEW! And a good one! Aw! You made my night because you mentioned ALL the things I've known about my book for such a long time and have been so scared to share in a world that IS dominated by sparklepires and cuddly wolves and tomboy heroines. THANK YOU so much for your review. To answer your question, the nature was inspired by my study in ecopsychology which does stress that we have a relationship to where we live and it IS a message I am trying to convey with the prose. You know, along with the whole, "villains can actually be scary and heroes can be helpless" just FYI, not EVERY book has to have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like unhappy endings... It may be twisted but I like it!
    You are very welcome!! I really enjoyed it and will support ya in any way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review!! I think it sounds even more interesting because she doesn't try to follow the current YA trends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! And she's not 14 by the end of the book, she's 17, I know, it spans 3 whole years, but you'll see why in the next books in the series. And the villains don't want her dead per say, they more want to stuff her into a little orb and keep her forever. Imagine being paralyzed inside your own body and then forced to kill things, all the while being conscious of what you're being made to do. THAT is what they want Kaliel to do, although they don't really need her body to do it, the BODY itself is scrap, the FLAME is what's important. *cough* scared yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Alexis - you really need to pick it up!! It won't disappoint!!

    ReplyDelete