Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.
The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I Am Number Four is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.



Some of you may remember that I started reading this awhile ago, like Feb (I think). Well, I was in a bit of a YA reading slump and I tried it again.

I love the concept of this book. ALIENS. It's an untouched YA trend, which is why (I'm sure) it had some popularity. My favorite aspect of this book is the relationship with John and Henri. I know that Henri was meant to be a protector and a guide to John, but he is so much more than that. I could feel the love Henri had for John throughout.

I hadn't picked up the book until after the movie came out and really thought Six and Four were going to be an item, so when I met Sarah, I thought she would get the brush off. (Side note - the brush off of the first anticipated love interest is not done enough in books). I was surprised that she was the leading love for John. Their relationship was sweet, but it was a let down for me because I thought he was going to be with bad ass Six. Maybe still a chance, I felt Henri threw out some foreshadowing in there when he said John would love selfishly with another alien.

The action in the book was slow for me in the beginning. Again, I had a preconceived idea that it would be a constant battle for John and Six would be a bigger part of it. So maybe that hurt me. (Yes, all of this came from the previews....not the actual movie). It showed John having to deal with bullies, and there was the magazine thing, but really the last few chapters were packed full with action! But I was kinda over the book by then so I was over it.

Some quick thoughts
What is this that sequel has nothing to do with Six and Four, but Seven? Really? Come on. It better tie all together.
I love how the author made himself (eh, her?) part of the book.
SUPER DOG!


7 comments:

  1. Aw thanks Michelle for the well wishing. I won't forget you! Even though I couldn't find your blog the other day . . . with any luck the new blogger interface will fix this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book yet but the movie made me almost want to pick it up. Then I got mixed feelings because people said the movie was awful. I know, don't judge a book by it's movie, but if people are saying the plot is horrible then...you have to wonder if the book has a horrible plot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, fellow campaigner! I'm not in your group, but I still wanted to check out your blog and say, "HI!"

    I quite enjoyed this book, even if the enemy was a little hard to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm wondering if i should just watch the movie instead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched the movie... Not very good either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review! I only saw movie previews and was like..eh. But now I want to pick up the book for sure...and Borders is going out of business in my town and pretty sure they have tons of copies - YAY!

    I am in your campaign group! Looking forward to talking/blogging more with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trailer really made me excited about the movie. I liked the premise and it looked like it would have some good action.

    Overall the movie was okay for it was supposed to be, wouldn't go so far as to say it was awful. I thought the action scenes were done really well and I'm intrigued to know about the others.

    I was curious to know if the book might be better. Thanks for curing me of that.

    Oh, I'm in your PNR group in the campaign. Now a follower on your blog :).

    ReplyDelete