Thursday, December 8, 2011

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him. 

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.

It was the traditional battle of good and evil, over the most precious thing a person has to offer, her soul. That is how I would sum up this book in a sentence. Have you ever done that? Pick up the book you just finished and do it. Go on. I'll wait for you.

*Twenty minutes pass*

OK.

Something that is so no essential to the story - but made me giggle. The fact that all five Cavanaugh girls are named Mary. They go by their middle names but that is something a catholic family would do. I know this because I am Catholic. I think that is also something that I really liked about the book. I was raised Catholic and it is where I get a lot of my morals from, just like Frannie does. I also remember having a lot of questions for my Sunday school teachers. I wonder with other religions, do people question as much as I did? I imagine so, but then again, I was kind of a pain in the beep when I was young.

Luc and Gabe - hello boys. Hello.

Frannie is not this wholesome goody good, but she is super important to the world, much as Moses and Hitler were. - That's a tie in, in case anyone is confused and I loved how it was done.  Back to Frannie - she is essentially a good person but she has a wild side, can't handle drinking, has raging 17 year old hormones, and wants to make the world a better place.  She was great - she knew the world was at stake because of her but she wasn't just going to side with either good or evil just because. She was going to make her own decision.

The devil appears once, but I really wanted to see more of him. The devil appeared in t

The Mephisto Covenant and in Fallen, and only in Fallen does he stay awhile but even then, he's not as much of the "devil" as I imagine him to be. I really want the devil to be in a book and have him be such a #*$&. (fill it in :) ). I have an itch for it just like I am itching for some horror story. 



I recommend this one.

1 comment:

  1. Soccer and Catholic? Holy shit. Yeah, that's right.... I know shit isn't holy, but damn. We really do have SOOO much in common... book soul-mates; woo whoo! :Dhaha!

    Glad you enjoyed this one! I'm more of Gabe girl, you?

    ReplyDelete