Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blood Will Tell by Samantha Young

What would you do if you were born to be a predator? Would you fight your natural instincts or give in to your nature? 

Eden is a soul eater closing in on her awakening. Her family has convinced her that soon she will have to take a life in order to save her own. It’s a decision Eden doesn’t want to deal with even as her hunger for souls grows stronger every day.

To complicate her impossible position, new guy in school Noah Valois’ determination to befriend her puts Eden in touch with a humanity she’s never known. Addicted to his company, his friendship and affection, she becomes more and more terrified that giving into her hunger will mean losing him forever…

… But when she discovers that Noah is not what he seems, his betrayal forces her to face two choices. One will offer her revenge and the destruction of a boy she loved. The other may offer her a life of eternal redemption…

I am not sure what I thought this book was about. For the most part, I select books based on titles, covers, and a select few of my book blogging buddies (Komal, Melissa, Joe, Molli, and Diana). I picked this one because the title really intrigued me. I envisioned something about having to drain people for their blood (not in the vampire sense) but something a long the lines that a person's blood held secrets. And then I saw the cover and I thought old school centuries, maybe a costume dance? Nothing of things happened in the novel. The cover, though beautiful, doesn't really have anything to do with the book. Maybe it's a future reference?

The main character, Eden, has it tough. She really despises her sick and perverted father, her distant mother, her creppy cousin. She doesn't want to be a soul eater and has put off the "rite of passage" for awhile, with the help of her brother Stellan.

Stellan is a great character. He is the perfect, protective, loving brother. He was my favorite character in this book. He protected her from her cousin. He protected her from her father. He tried to make her rite of passage easy on her because he knew it was hard on her. He really wanted what was best for her.

Back to Eden. She has to deal with a lot of baggage, except for when she is with Noah. And like all the swoon worthy boys, Noah has a big secret. His people, hunt, her people. In fact in a battle scene it was a massacre. Noah was sent to Eden to gauge what she was like and see if she was worth saving. There is a secret that Noah's people have on Eden and it's a sad one (the making of it) and the outcome, at the end, is really sad. I felt bad for Eden. I hated her family. I hated Noah's people. I was pissed at Noah.

In the Eden's life is thrown all topsy turvy.


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, the cover sure is gorgeous. And thanks for the review, Michelle. I'm always interested in opinions and thoughts. :D

    ReplyDelete