Sunday, May 26, 2013

Series Sundays (1) The Hunger Games


What brought on my Series Sunday? I teach middle school and my counterpart in 7th grade taught The Hunger Games last year. So after the ELA exam, I was like Catching Fire it is! With the full intent of re-reading The HUnger Games. Well, I read HG, then CF and well, you can't stop there. I finished MockingJay. And that got me thinking of all the great series I have read and am waiting for.

So requirements for being part of Series Sunday. Has to be a series and has to be a completed series. 

All readers needs to be aware that there is no way to talk about a series without spoilers. 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a dystopia novel where the country of Panem is the US made up of (originally) 13 districts. They are governed by the Capitol and the evil (but truely awesome character) President Snow. And each year, each district, must send in one boy and one girl into what they call the Hunger Games where kids from the ages 12 to 18 will have to fight to the death until there is one victor. 

Along comes, cold-hearted (accept to the weak) Katniss, who ends up in the games with Peeta - her soon to be lover in the eyes of the Capitol. They are the first pair to make it out of the Games, and boy does this piss off President Snow. 

He comes at them full force in CF. He sends them back in to the Games as a means to eliminate the all the winners of the Games. Why do you ask does he want to do this? Because, a rebellion - what dystopia doesn't have a rebellion.  And then the rebellion ensues. 

So why do I love this series - a lot of reasons - number one - I HATE PRESIDENT SNOW! A great story is only as good as the antagonist. President Snow is conniving, he keeps it together in front of the cameras, he's smart, and he's ruthless. He doesn't care who he has to kill to keep his government, his power in control. 

Also - Katniss - she's not your fairy princess, your weak, no confidence, hopelessly romantic girl. In fact - she is the opposite of all of those qualities. She's capable of murder. She really doesn't want to get married. She's not stereotypical in any way!

A few of my favorite quotes:

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."  Effie Trinket - best airhead ever!

"Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear." 

"You know, you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him."

"Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!" 

"Ally." Peeta says the words slowly, tasting it. "Friend. Lover. Victor. Enemy. Fiancee. Target. Mutt. Neighbor. Hunter. Tribute. Ally. I'll add it to the list of words I use to try to figure you out. The problem is, I can't tell what's real anymore, and what's made up." 

Some of my favorite quotes:
"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor." Effie Trinket - best airhead ever

"Ally." Peeta says the words slowly, tasting it. "Friend. Lover. Victor. Enemy. Fiancee. Target. Mutt. Neighbor. Hunter. Tribute. Ally. I'll add it to the list of words I use to try to figure you out. The problem is, I can't tell what's real anymore, and what's made up." 

"Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!" 

"Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear." 

"You know, you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him."

 





No comments:

Post a Comment